Are you looking for a quick and easy way to enhance the thickness and flavor of your gravy? Then the flavorful treat, cornstarch chunks, is a good option for you because it can be easily prepared by anyone using a few ingredients within a short time. You can even just munch it with some seasoning or add it to your gravies to enhance the flavor.
But how to make hard cornstarch chunks? If you are unaware of the method, here we have brought the exact recipe you need to follow.
What are Hard Cornstarch Chunks, and What are they Used For?
As its name indicates, cornstarch chunks are a chunky snack made from pure cornstarch. To produce cornstarch, the endosperm, which is a part of the corn, is used. And the basic nutrition of cornstarch is carbohydrates.
Usually, cornstarch chunks do not take a regular shape or size. Moreover, you can customize its flavor as sweetened, spiced, or seasoned as you wish.
In addition, you can add some colors and herbs to these chunks as well. Another important factor is they can be stored for up to a few days.
Basically, you can have cornstarch chunks in two ways. You can just eat them as a snack. But most of the time, they are used to thicken other curries, sauces, soups, stews, and even custards.
If you add already seasoned cornstarch chunks, there is no need to add spices when you are cooking gravies, soups, etc.
How to Make Hard Cornstarch Chunks?
- Using the Microwave – The microwave method is faster and easier. You will only need a microwave-safe bag apart from the ingredients of the treat.
- Take 450g of cornstarch and mix any seasonings you want, such as pepper, salt, thyme, etc.
- Take a microwave-safe bag and put the mixture into it. It would be better to use a bag that tightens the cornstarch well.
- Now zip and press the bag thoroughly using a heavy object like a glass. Then the cornstarch inside the bag will tighten well.
- After that, keep the bag in the microwave for 5 minutes. You should set the temperature to a high level. Do not overcook it; otherwise, the cornstarch might burn.
- After 5 minutes, take the bag out from the microwave and break the hard block into chunks.
- Using the Oven – since the oven provides an even heat, you can make your cornstarch chunks crunchier. But you will need a box as well as aluminum foil. And the oven takes more time than the microwave.
- Take 450g of cornstarch and add some seasonings. Give it a good mix.
- Take your box and put all mixture into it.
- Again, you will need a kitchen tool to press the cornstarch well in the box. This step is vital to remove the air in the powder.
- Now you should transfer the block of cornstarch onto the aluminum foil. Next, wrap the block thoroughly. Be careful not to break the block while doing this.
- Preheat your oven for a few minutes, then keep the block in the oven for 2 hours. You should set the temperature to 375 F.
- Every half an hour, you have to check the block. It should be solid but do not let it burn.
- After 2 hours, take the cornstarch block and keep it in your freezer for up to 4 hours.
- When the time is up, you can break the block into small pieces.
What Can you Do with Hard Cornstarch Chunks?
Basically, you can add the cornstarch chunks when you are following some liquid recipes such as gravy, soup, sauces, etc. All you need to do is add a chunk or two when the gravy starts to bubble. Then the liquid becomes thicker, and the flavor will surely increase to the next level.
Do not add a lot of chucks because it will be hard to mix, and the dish will be thicker.
Another method is to use the seasoned cornstarch chucks as a coating on meats. But here, you have to turn the chucks into a powder again by crushing it. But you do not worry about seasoning the meat because the chucks already contain seasonings/colors/herbs, and so on.
Therefore, they are convenient to carry and use when you are going camping.
How to Make Cornstarch Slurry?
There is another way to instantly thicken the cornstarch using only water apart from the above methods. And it is known as cornstarch slurry. This method is a solution for dry cornstarch which may clump up when you add it to the dish. Here is how you can do it.
Take some cornstarch and mix it with some water. The amount you take can vary depending on the thickness you want to add to the dish. In general, one tablespoon of cornstarch is enough for one and a half tablespoons of water. Mix the cornstarch until there are no lumps in the mixture. After that, you can pour the mixture into your dish to thicken it.
How to Store Cornstarch Chunks?
You have to place your cornstarch chunks in the freezer if you want to preserve if for a few weeks. When you place it in the freezer, use an airtight container. If you use it within the next few days, there is no need to keep it in the freezer; you can keep it in an airtight container. But make sure to avoid humidity and direct sunlight.
What is the Best Way to Make Cornstarch Chunks?
Using the oven is the best way to make cornstarch chunks. The oven can evaporate the moisture in cornstarch well more than the microwave. As a result, you can have crunchier cornstarch chunks. However, you need to keep an eye on timing. If you overheat it, you will not be able to use those burned cornstarch chunks for meals.
Is It Harmful to Eat Raw Cornstarch?
As we described above, you can eat cornstarch chunks just as it is. But it is not okay to consume a lot of raw cornstarch. Due to the lack of fiber, you might have to face some digestive issues from raw cornstarch. So, it would be better to eat cornstarch chucks with some other dishes such as gravies, stews, etc.
Watch this one,
Video Credits – My Lockdown Rasoi
Don’t Stop Here: Explore More Related Content